“The world needs a smart, effective and powerful organization to help create real checks and balances to protect human rights and the environment from corporate abuse. This organization fills this critical niche with the integrity and fierce determination that brings about deep and lasting change."
Born out of an audacious idea that halting the deadly marketing practices of the world’s largest food corporation, Nestlé, could save the lives of millions of newborns, we were then – and are still – at the forefront of the movement to challenge corporate abuse.
Corporate Accountability International is
- Powered by tens of thousands of members, volunteers, activists and allied organizations invested in a vision for a better world
- Highly regarded as a force for change among national decision makers and global governing bodies such as the United Nations
- An expert resource for media
- A recognized leader in the corporate accountability movement
"Corporations may have enormous political and economic clout and fleets of high-paid lobbyists at their disposal, but they're up against a much more powerful force: the people." Kelle Louaillier, Executive Director
We work toward a fair and sustainable world
We work to end irresponsible and dangerous corporate actions in order to ensure a world where people and the environment can flourish.
Mission: Stop corporate abuse
We are committed to stopping life-threatening abuses by global corporations and increasing their accountability to public institutions and people around the world.
As global corporations have grown richer and more powerful than many nations, they increasingly operate without limits on their power or influence. Around the world, global corporations drive government policies, unchecked by strong global policies to protect public health, human rights and the environment.
Vision: A more just and sustainable world
We envision a world where:
- Democratic institutions and civil society thrive, unthreatened by corporate interference in policy-making.
- People can adequately meet their basic human needs for food, water, shelter and good health.
- The opportunity exists for all people to reach their full human potential.
- Security is based on cooperation and community.
We are a highly regarded force for change
We work directly with global governing bodies to achieve our vision.
We have official relations with the World Health Organization, Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), and are an official observer to the Secretariat of the Framework Convention of Tobacco Control.
We are also recognized as a leader in achieving our mission. Over our 35-year history, we have been awarded recognition for our achievements, including:
- Letelier-Moffitt Human Rights Award, from the Institute for Policy Studies, 1982
- Oscar for Best Documentary: Short Subject, "Deadly Deception," from the Academy Awards, 1992
- BENNY Award, from the Business Ethics Network, 2006
- Bloomberg Awards for Global Tobacco Control, from Bloomberg Philanthropies, 2012
- World No Tobacco Day Award, from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), 2012